As many schools and businesses in the area will take a day off on Monday, January 16 to celebrate Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s life, the University of Saint Francis is taking a different approach. Students, faculty and staff plan to pay tribute to Dr. King through taking, “A Day On, Not a Day Off.”
The University of Saint Francis welcomes the public to the USF Robert Goldstine Performing Arts Center, 431 W. Berry Street, to take part in this event. Participants will remember the life and legacy of Dr. King as they give back to the community.
Schedule of Events:
11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Mass and a Call to Service Celebrated by Fr. David Meinzen
11:30 a.m. – Noon – Lunch
Noon – 12:45 P.M. – Video presentation: Franciscan Sisters reflect upon their presence during the last moments of Dr. King’s life
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Service projects at USF Downtown and Off-Campus. Register to participate in service projects at sf.edu/MLKDay. The first 100 registrants will get a free MLK Day t-shirt.
USF Robert Goldstine Performing Arts Center Foyer (register to participate at sf.edu/MLKDay):
– Linus Blanket Making
– Warm Fuzzies/Arm knitting scarves
– Bread for the World Letter Writing
Off Campus (register to participate at sf.edu/MLKDay):
– Mustard Seed Furniture Bank (3636 Illinois Rd.)
– Friends of the Third World (611 W. Wayne St.)
– St. Vincent de Paul Store (1600 South Calhoun St.)
– Franciscan Center (1015 E. Maplegrove Ave.)
– Vincent Village (f8 Photo Club members only)
– Blue Jacket, Inc. (2826 South Calhoun St.)
– Treasure House (5327 Coldwater Rd.)
– Community Harvest Food Bank (999 E. Tillman Rd.)
– Little Rivers Wetlands (7209 Engle Road Suite 200)
– YWCA Northeast IN (6920 Decatur Rd.)
For more information, and to register for events, visit sf.edu/MLKDay.