The 2017 World Baseball Classic is underway and the international tournament has a Fort Wayne flavor to it. Ten former Fort Wayne TinCaps and Wizards players are on the rosters of six different teams, while a pair of recent TinCap managers are also coaching in the event.
Former TinCaps/Wizards in 2017 World Baseball Classic
· Michael Collins (Australia – Coach) –2014 TinCaps Manager
· Tayron Guerrero (Colombia) – 2013-14 TinCaps Pitcher
· Bryan Rodriguez (Dominican Republic) – 2013 TinCaps Pitcher
· Cody Decker (Israel) – 2009 TinCaps Infielder
· Nate Freiman (Israel) – 2010 TinCaps Infielder
· Óliver Peréz (Mexico) – 2001 Wizards Pitcher
· Joakim Soria (Mexico) – 2006 Wizards Pitcher
· Luis Urias (Mexico) – 2015 TinCaps Infielder
· J.C. Cosme (Puerto Rico) – 2016 TinCaps Pitcher
· José Valentín (Puerto Rico – First Base Coach) – 2012-13 TinCaps Manager
· José Castillo (Venezuela) – 2015-16 TinCaps Pitcher
· Leonel Campos (Venezuela) – 2013 TinCaps Pitcher
The United States plays its first game on Friday, March 10 (6:00 p.m.) against Colombia, while Mexico and the Dominican Republic began their schedules on Thursday. Puerto Rico and Venezuela are also set for their first game Friday night. Cody Decker and Nate Freiman with Israel have already advanced out of their first round pool and into the second round. Early Friday morning, Australia was eliminated by Cuba in a one-run game. For more information, visit WorldBaseballClassic.com.
As for their former club, Opening Night for the 2017 season at Parkview Field is Saturday, April 8 (6:05 p.m.) when the TinCaps host the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays). Tickets are available online at TinCapsTickets.com, by phone at 260-482-6400, or in person at the Parkview Field Ticket Office.